Chattanooga first became an important passenger-rail terminal in 1879, when the city was selected as the southern terminus of the Cincinnati Southern Railroad. By 1914, Chattanooga's geographical location had made it a hub for a number of national passenger railways: the Southern Railway; the North Carolina and St. Louis Railway; the Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis Railway; the Western and Atlantic Railroad; and the Queen and Crescent Route. Southern Railway, the dominant carrier in the area, operated the Terminal Station, built in 1909 to replace the older, smaller Central Passenger Terminal. The new terminal site, which included additional track, a freight yard and the famous "Roundhouse" used to rotate engine cars, spread out over some twenty-three acres. Architect Donn Barber had designed the new station, whose impressive facade helped to establish Chattanooga as a destination in itself. (In 1970 this was renovated as the Chattanooga Choo-Choo Hotel).