Cameron Hill lies northeast of downtown Chattanooga and overlooks the Tennessee River. Its high ground made it a strategic artillery position during the Civil War. By the 1890s it had become the site of a number of fashionable homes, including the Adolph Ochs mansion. Cameron Hill lost its commanding view of the city in 1958 when the Golden Gateway project levelled its summit to supply filldirt for highway construction.